Saturday, March 20, 2010

I'm A Dubliner

At last I am here to stay!...at least for a while. I'm back from Scotland and Kerry, and won't be leaving my fair city again til April. It's funny how quickly somewhere becomes home. Dublin has become that for me in so many ways. I find myself missing the familiarity of it when I'm gone I'm certain I'll long for this place when I set foot on American soil. It feels good to be back. I suppose you can call me a Dubliner, now! Anyway, time for a recap of my recent adventures:
The emerald rolling hills, mossy stone hedges and seaside makes the kingdom of Kerry the perfect place for any fairytale. On the train ride in I saw 4 dozen cottages fit for snow white, a few other castle-esque residences belonging to sleepy princesses, and plenty of gleaming sandy coastlines that merpeople surely inhabit. The landscape had me gobsmacked, and I half expected prince charming to come riding by on his white horse. While I wasn't quite that lucky, Kerry was truly breathtaking and I no longer wonder why some Irish trade in a Dublin life for a quieter country one. I went down with Bernie and Michael Jr. Friday to attend a family birthday party. It was different from any Hyde family function I've ever been to, and certainly more lively. It was held in the local pub rather than the church hall, and the refreshments were anything but a mixture of rainbow sherbet in sprite (mormon reference). It was definitely good craic (ireland reference).
Scotland was equally as enchanting, and the city of edinborgh had me at hello. A big rugby match brought the people and kilts out in the masses and the girls and I took notice of how handsome the scottish men were. It was strange how a skirt sort of enhanced this, rather than being demasculating. As for what they wear underneath them, let's just say it's not demasulating either....:p. Along with good looking men, Edinburgh has the most amazing architecture at ever corner. Even the newest additions to the city look like they've been around for 2,000 yrs and tell a story. I spent Monday on my own exploring the cities knooks and crannys. I'm not a religious person, but I'm fascinated by cathedrals and the one on the royal mile was truly awesome. I wandered into St. Giles cathedral to escape the afternoon wind, and it was fortunate because a local church choir was practicing. The angelic music paired with the sunlit stained glass handed me a moment. Moments aren't few and far between lately. I often feel complete gratitude for my ability to discover myself through travel. There is no better way for me to figure myself out than an independent journey.

We made it back from Scotland just in time for St Patricks day. Spending a st. patty's day in Ireland seems like it should be number 6, or 7 on my lifelong to do list. I guess I can check that one off! Needless to say, Dublin was packed with tourists and green decorations during the holiday and so were the pubs. A few friends and I had an early start with mimosas and pancakes, followed by many pints and bar hopping. The city felt very international with all the visitors, and for the day nobody was fascinated by my obvious American descent. I enjoyed the break from answering questions about my stay in Dublin.


It's unbelievable how my experience here is half over. Scary, actually. I know I'm still young, but every minute that passes is another one I can't have back. I am scared of slowing down, so I wish that time would. Anxiety about the future is important for keeping motivated, but at the same time we should embrace each moment. No regrets! (sorry about that fortune cookie soapbox. I swear I am not attempting to be Confucius)

I know I am adapting to Irish culture. The astounding amount of times the phrase 'oh jesus' escapes my mouth daily proves this.., but I am still fully American. At times I miss bad reality TV, Applebees, and just feel like singing the star spangled banner. It's clearly evident from my posts that I love Ireland and am accepting of our cultural differences, but there are still some things about this country I will never get. No offense to my Irish peers, of course! I'm sure you have your reasons... The following are merely observations I've made note of. No harm meant.

10 Things I simply don't understand about the Land of the Leprechauns

1. The unnecessary placement of the words 'like' and 'so' at the end of a sentence
2. The massive amount of driving roundabouts instead of four way stops
3. The eery infatuation Irish men have with their 'lads'
4. The steady fascination with a vegetable that is the reason half of Ireland left the country
5. The strange and baffled looks that come when asking for 'a ride'
6. The way milk and eggs are never refrigerated at the grocery store..
7. The fact that there are no power outlets in any bathroom
8. The unpopularity of happy hour specials in a country devoted to drinking
9. The elusive man, who is apparently yours
10. The labeling of every sign, stall, and road in a language that nobody really speaks

No comments:

Post a Comment