Tuesday, March 9, 2010

French Fries Aren't a Vegetable

I'm completely surrounded by music here. Whether it's the man playing for change on Grafton, the top 40 at the disco, or my walking buddy: IPod. Music is always keeping me company. I think someone’s playlist says a lot about where they are and what they are feeling. Just for kicks and giggles here’s mine to-date:
1. Daisy dares you Ft. chipmunk- Number one enemy
2. Example- Won’t go quietly
3. Trey Songz- Say Aah
4. James Taylor- Something in the way she moves
5. Telepopmusik- Don’t look back (John Tejada Mix)
6. Jay Z- On to The Next One
7. Biffy Clyro- Many of Horror
8. Kasabian- Fire
9. Timbaland Ft. Katy Perry- If We Ever meet Again
10. The Temper Trap – Soldier On
11. Rolling Stones- Beast of Burden
12. Mumm-Ra- She’s Got Your High
13. Tinie Tempah- Pass Out
14. Chiddy Bang- Opposite Of Adults
15. Lady Antebellum- American Honey
16. Ellie Goulding- Starry Eyed
17. The Temper Trap – Sweet Disposition
18. John Mellancamp- Hurt so Good
19. Jack Johnson- If I Had Eyes
20. Taylor Swift- Today Was a Fairytale
21. Sad Brad Smith- Help Yourself
22. Bed Rock- Ft. Lloyd

3 more days and I am off to Scotland with the kilts and castles! I am anticipating some new scenery, even though I haven't spent a weekend in Dublin for the past month. Last Friday I ventured to Kilkenny, a small, but lively spot. There were some beautiful parts and most importantly- happening pubs (inserted pictures prove both). I am hoping to make it back before I leave the country. Serious skimping has been in order to save up for my trips ahead to London and Italy. This means a lot of walking, avoiding Brown Thomas at all costs, and the unhappy switch from lattes and cappuccinos to regular coffee. Bah! I've been trying to conjure up a get-rich-quick scheme to make life easier, but thus far my unoriginality has only lead me to the possibilities of a lemonade stand, or kissing booth. Since I am neither 1o yrs old, nor desire to mack complete strangers…the skimping will continue. If you’ve any suggestions for a quick buck, I’m open.

I was up late last night with my host Mom Bernie and her son Michael doing a grade school report. They needed some help with the computer, and while I'm no Bill Gates, a little teamwork got the job done. When I first moved here I was nervous about my personal freedom living with a family, but I couldn't be happier with the decision. I am thankful for the normality that comes with having to uphold some household responsibilities, and the liveliness of a family atmosphere. I enjoy independence, but I have never really liked solidarity. I am at my best self when I’m surrounded by humanity. This is probably why I miss New York City so much. Mr. Gleeson mentions daily that he hopes I am feeling at home, and there is no question about it. I will miss them dearly when I go. My only complaint thus far has nothing to do with my new adopted Irish family, but my new adopted Irish diet. I've been entirely ruined by the four C's: Chips, Coffee, Crisps, and Chocolate. All of the above have made it impossible to sustain any level of fitness. It's aggravating to me that Americans are so fat, when in Ireland they consider french fries to be a vegetable. I've decided to ditch the junk food and today I signed up for a 5k. I doubt they ever experience bikini weather here, but it will be in full gear when I get home and I'm determined to turn this mess around. I don't mean to bore you with my self-insecurities. I'm only telling you because it makes me feel more committed.

Here’s another observation. It’s unfortunate that Americans are cursed with the most unattractive accent EVER. I discovered this to be true after I asked an Irish friend to imitate us, and she did so by plugging her nose and saying, "Like, oh my god!" Since then it's become apparent that the way we talk isn't appealing. Actually, I can literally see the pain on the Irish faces when I pronounce certain words like: 'guy' 'movie' or 'house'. This is a large social disadvantage when you consider the following:
A subpar looking male walks into a bar in New York City and is barely glanced at by all the predatory, borderline desperate Manhattan females. Until.....he opens his mouth and speaks pure English tongue. Suddenly he is ransacked by every woman within ears distance. (This theory is proven by the American female population, and their intoxication with Hugh Grant and Jude Law.)
Let's reverse the scenario. I walk into a pub in Dublin and in order to retain some degree of appeal I can either, 1. Fake an Australian accent, or 2. Say absolutely nothing. Since my Australian accent always comes out more southern/Indian, and I love to talk, I generally just choose to be obnoxious. Maybe I need to move somewhere they don't speak English. I’d love to elaborate further on the man topic, but it’s probably a bad idea. Blogs are a funny thing. I sometimes have to remind myself that this isn’t my diary, and that there are thoughts I shouldn’t share with the universe. Obviously there is more to my life than weekend trips and day to day tasks. Like many other 21 yr old girls male interaction is a large part of my existence (I resent this, trust me.) But since I am not Carry Bradshaw, my dealings with the opposite sex will have to be restricted to the book in my bedside drawer. This is too bad for you, because some of these stories are class entertainment. I’ll put the boy subject to rest, after I leave you with this sentiment: All men, no matter which country they reside in, are trouble.

2 comments:

  1. love love LOVE it! So jealous of your life and your way with words

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh-oh, this comment was supposed to go on your newest post about new years!

    ReplyDelete