Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The End of The Honeymoon Phase

Dublin makes me feel creative. I've always been a mess of good ideas, with zero execution. Maybe it's the lack of home distractions. I have limited cell phone use and no access to any of my usual TV programs (AKA: the bachelor finale, which I sadly missed last night!). Maybe it's the self contemplation that comes with being independent....or in other words, too much time to think about my life. Whatever it is, I feel motivated! I spent my day yesterday editing photos I've taken around the city. I'm in love with a few of them. Photography is amazing because it helps us recognize the beauty of even the smallest things and moments, and how we all come
together as a civilization. Here posted are a few of my favourites. Tomorrow I'm going to pick up some oil paints, and this blog has encouraged me to write more. I'm determined to utilize my new found inspiration to the fullest, and I'll likely be expressing a good chunk of it on here. Please let me know if at any point this turns into sensory overload!

This past weekend I celebrated a friends birthday in town then took a bus to Galway with a few students. Galway is on the west coast of Ireland, about a 3 hr journey from Dublin. It was impossibly sunny and beautiful, which has been a very rare occurrence. We took advantage of the weather by walking along the pier and wandering the cobblestone streets littered with performers. Galway has an interesting vibe about it that seems to correlate to any west coast city. Nothing really opened before 11am, and people sleepily toted around their guitars followed by their unleashed pets. It was nice to escape the hustle and bustle of concrete to somewhere more relaxed. Relaxed suits me right now since it is a better reflection of my present state of mind.

I'm so thankful for technology! How comforting to know that family is only a phone call away. I finally got my webcam up and running and skyped mom for the first time Friday. She was nearly crying when she saw my face, and then of course the waterworks began on my end (were both crybabies). I've been missing family a lot lately, and would give up tea for a week in trade for a few hugs from them. Some say home is where the heart is, but I'm not sure if that's entirely true. If the Hyde's lived in a desert cave without running water and only camels for transportation, I'd likely venture back occasionally. Home isn't where the heart is. Our heart is where our loved ones are. Who are we really without the people that genuinely care for us?

Well, enough with the sap and onto a lighter topic.....Politics. Okay, so that's not exactly a lighter topic ha, but it's a noteworthy one. It's been no secret that economically the US has been struggling for a while, but until now, it’s not been a real mention of mine. Those that know me understand my rants usually centre on the topics of socialized medicine and the Iraq war, but, my wallet is starting to feel the crunch of the exchange rate. I'm about to get financial Right now the dollar is 1.30 to the Euro. Although it doesn't seem like much of a difference, it's really starting to add up and I've had to scale back my spending. This means no more manicures, tanning visits, or shopping sprees. Oh boy.... I know it's unlikely the president of the United States has enough time on his hands to read this meaningless blog, but Barack, if you aren't busy aiding natural disasters or mending public education I'm asking you to hear my plea. This letter is for you:

Dear Barack,

While the job market suffers.... so do my chipped nails, which are in desperate need of a manicure. Unfortunately, your inability to assist my little friend, 'the dollar', has made my quest for pretty fingers nearly impossible. In the beginning I cheered you on, and resonated with your platform of economic change, but this failing exchange rate has dampened my spirits. Just like the Euro is dominating Washington, these cuticles dominate my nail beds...Not a pretty sight. I beg you to consider those residing outside the states as motivation to hit the gas on economic reform. I'm much happier after a lemon scrub and polish change.

Yours truly,
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment